Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tax Time!


Well, it's that time of year again - TAX TIME! Shelby and I are trying out Turbo Tax this year.  Have any of you tried it? I'd love to hear your take on it before we actually hit the SEND button!  I'm so proud of Shelby and myself this year.  We've already got our plan mapped out for what we're going to do with our return.  Thankfully we are able to pay off 4 credit cards, yes you heard that right - 4! That only leaves us with our "big" ones and we'll have that completely done within a year.  I am so relieved to see our plans coming together!  As well as paying off 4 credit cards, we're going to be able to put a large chunk into savings, and still have some for ourselves.  We live so tight these days that it will be nice to have some new pants or socks or SOMETHING.  I'd still really like to get my hair cut!  Only 1 more year of living like we do now, and then we can finally sit back and breathe!  I am so thankful :)  Remember the Financial Quest I talked about a while back? Well, we're still on it and truckin' along!

What are you going to do with your return?  I'd love to hear your ideas - it might help me make some better ideas of my own! :)

6 comments:

  1. We used Turbo Tax last year, and it worked great! We plan to use it again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished doing mine and I used Turbo Tax too! I'm sticking most of my return into savings and the rest to pay for a cruise I'm taking in May. That way I won't be adding any debt to what I want to have paid off come the end of the year. That's so great that you're getting closer and closer to having things paid off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome about your credit cards Miranda! We aren't sure how much we're getting back yet - since it's our first married year, plus we were only married for 7 months. It's also my first year with a REAL full-time job. So, we're excited (and hopeful) about what we'll get back! We plan to pay off our furniture purchases for the house. We got it interest free for 12 months, but we HATE debt so we're hoping to knock it out ASAP! Other than that, my guess is that we'll put ALL of ours into savings for the baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ususally use TurboTax or Tax Slayer. I've been happy with both! Congrats on getting stuff paid down. Doesn't it feel great? We aren't getting too much back this year but plan on helping pay for our vacation and putting some back so we don't have to stress too much about Kyle finding a job in July.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a dumb question. We have always had our taxes done through an accountant (my parent's accountant...they have a very difficult tax return and he always just charges me like $25 to do mine!), but he's slow. We want to do something like Turbo Tax, but I know nothing about it. Do you buy it in the store? Does it do both federal and state? Is it easy? I'd love some info/help! (PS - you'd think I'd know more about this considering I have an MBA...and that's sort of embarrassing to admit - haha!)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear your paying off your creidt cards Miranda! Turbo Tax is a great program to help with your taxes if your doing it yourself. I have had problems with it when my husband was an Ohio resident and I was a Virginia resident though. Don't forget if you are able to itemize, the cost of the program is deductible on your taxes next year.

    Rachel: If your parents accountant does your federal and state return for $25, thats a steal. You do buy turbo tax at retail stores or you can buy it online. Its more than $25 though.

    ReplyDelete